Buffalo Bills head coach Rex Ryan told reporters on Monday that veteran cornerback Leodis McKelvin is likely going to be active and on the field against the Miami Dolphins this Sunday. It'll be the first time that McKelvin has played since a November 13, 2014 road loss to Miami, and McKelvin sounds pretty amped up about playing.
Asked if he's fired up to return, Leodis McKelvin said, "Hell yeah, I haven't played in a f***ing year."— Matthew Fairburn (@MatthewFairburn) November 2, 2015
The bigger question, of course, is what McKelvin's role will be. It is exceedingly unlikely that he will be handed back a starting cornerback job given that the current pair of starters, Stephon Gilmore and rookie Ronald Darby, have been among the league's best players at their position this season. McKelvin could play a depth role there, but evidently the Bills are already talking about the possibility of moving him to safety, as well (though that is not a process that would happen very quickly).
The Bills have entertained the idea of moving Leodis McKelvin to safety. They brought it up to him today for the first time.— Matthew Fairburn (@MatthewFairburn) November 2, 2015
It's far more likely that we'll see McKelvin on the field as a return man. Denarius Moore has given the Bills a little bit of a lift as a punt returner so far, but their kick return game has been abysmal. McKelvin already sounds like he's ready to contribute in that area.
Mckelvin expect to return kicks Sunday. "Most definitely. I'm just going to get the ball in my hands go out there and do what I got to do"— Sal Capaccio (@SalSports) November 2, 2015
When the Bills do add McKelvin to the active roster, they will need to release a player to make room for him. That move could happen at any point this week.