The Buffalo Bills began their roster cut down to 53 players on Friday, officially releasing 16 players, waiving another, and adding cornerback Leodis McKelvin to the Reserve/NFI list. 18 moves in, however, the Bills still have to move four more players off of their roster by 4:00 p.m. ET this afternoon to hit the 53-player max by the league deadline.
One of those moves will be to put defensive lineman Marcell Dareus on the Reserve/Suspended list. His suspension begins on Monday, and the Bills can put him on that list to effectively open up an extra roster spot for their Week 1 showdown with Indianapolis. Factoring in the Dareus move, that means the Bills need to release three more players on Saturday.
The Bills have not yet officially confirmed it, but ESPN's Mike Rodak and Alex Marvez of FOX Sports both reported on Friday that the team is parting ways with a third-year safety.
S Jonathan Meeks
Bills have waived safety Jonathan Meeks after trying to trade him, I’m told. If not claimed, he could re-sign to practice squad.— Mike Rodak (@mikerodak) September 4, 2015
I'm told @buffalobills tried trading a WR to keep S Jonathan Meeks on 53-man roster but couldn't swing deal. Thus, Meeks is getting waived— Alex Marvez (@alexmarvez) September 4, 2015
Meeks, a 2013 fifth-round pick out of Clemson who missed, essentially, the last year and a half with two separate foot injuries, could not surpass either Duke Williams or Bacarri Rambo on the depth chart this summer. It does sound like the Bills did what they could to keep him, however, so they clearly like him. Meeks does have remaining practice squad eligibility.
As a reminder, here are the 18 players that the Bills moved off of their active roster on Friday:
- QB Matt Simms (released)
- RB Cierre Wood (released)
- RB Bronson Hill (released)
- FB John Conner (released)
- WR Deonte Thompson (waived-injured)
- WR Andre Davis (released)
- WR Dezmin Lewis (released)
- WR Tobais Palmer (released)
- OT Darryl Johnson (released)
- OG Cyril Richardson (released)
- OG Alex Kupper (released)
- OG William Campbell (released)
- DL Andre Fluellen (released)
- ER IK Enemkpali (released)
- ER Quentin Groves (released)
- ER B.J. Larsen (released)
- CB Leodis McKelvin (Reserve/NFI)
- CB Merrill Noel (released)