The Buffalo Bills released five players on Saturday afternoon, bringing their roster all the way down to 52 players - including suspended defensive lineman Marcell Dareus - prior to the 4:00 p.m. ET deadline to be at 53. More moves, then, are on the way.
Chief among the cuts: quarterback Matt Cassel, whose ouster saves the Bills over $4 million against the cap. Tyrod Taylor and EJ Manuel are now the only two quarterbacks on the Bills' roster.
The Bills also released center Dalton Freeman, defensive lineman Red Bryant, linebacker Kevin Reddick, and safety Jonathan Meeks. The releases leave the Bills with seven wide receivers and five tight ends on the active roster (including Nick O'Leary), but also with just seven offensive linemen.
Now one player shy of the 53-man roster limit, you can safely expect the Bills to pick up two more players either today or tomorrow - one to fill the currently empty roster spot, and another for when they move Dareus to the Reserve/Suspended list.
The roster, as it stands after these moves, is as follows...
- QB (2): Tyrod Taylor, EJ Manuel
- RB (4): LeSean McCoy, Karlos Williams, Boobie Dixon, Bryce Brown
- FB (1): Jerome Felton
- WR (7): Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Percy Harvin, Marcus Easley, Marquise Goodwin, Chris Hogan, Marcus Thigpen
- TE (5): Charles Clay, Matthew Mulligan, MarQueis Gray, Chris Gragg, Nick O'Leary
- OL (7): Cordy Glenn, Richie Incognito, Eric Wood, John Miller, Seantrel Henderson, Cyrus Kouandjio, Kraig Urbik
- DL (5): Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams, Corbin Bryant, Stefan Charles, Alex Carrington
- ER (4): Mario Williams, Jerry Hughes, Manny Lawson, Randell Johnson
- LB (4): Nigel Bradham, Preston Brown, Tony Steward, A.J. Tarpley
- CB (5): Stephon Gilmore, Ronald Darby, Nickell Robey, Ron Brooks, Mario Butler
- S (4): Aaron Williams, Corey Graham, Duke Williams, Bacarri Rambo
- ST (4): Dan Carpenter, Jordan Gay, Colton Schmidt, Garrison Sanborn